BASIC MINIMAL INVASIVE SURGERY WORKSHOP (BMIS)
Over the last 20-30 years, minimal invasive surgery (MIS) has grown from its niche area to be a mainstream surgical speciality with growing scope of procedures done, ranging from gynaecology, general surgery, and urology to even more complex fields such as transplant, cardiac and orthopaedic surgery.
Surgical training in this era would thus be incomplete without a formal training and guidance in the technique of MIS procedures. This workshop will allow participants to practise and enhance basic skills in minimal invasive surgery (BMIS).
A variety of basic skills stations are planned to allow every participant to pass through various skills necessary for basic laparoscopy work. Trainees will thus be able to demonstrate basic laparoscopic technologies and also have adequate skill to handle laparoscopic instruments and camera.
- Pre workshop discussion and assessment
- Didactic lectures
- Hands on skills stations
- Laparoscopy tower and electro-surgery demonstration
- Post test and assessments
This course exposed the trainees to the following:
- Intro to MIS
- Laparoscopy tower setup
- Principles of Lap VS Laparotomy
- Electrosurgical principles
- Port and Safe access entry techniques
- Ergonomics principles
- Pre-op checklist and teamwork
- Basics surgery videos-ectopic, cyst, salpingectomy
- Dry Lab exercises- PEG transfer, Hand-eye coordination, Hand-Hand coordination, Camera Skill, Accuracy in cutting
This workshop is strongly recommended for registrars/residents in training in general surgery, OBGYN and urology programs. It is also recommended for medical officers, interns and clinicians who wish to equip themselves with the basic skills in MIS.
COURSE DATE: 4th February 2022 and 5th February 2022